PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) Injections in Raleigh, NC
What is PRP?
PRP, or Platelet Rich Plasma, is thought to provide a boost to the body’s own healing ability by taking the patient’s blood and spinning it down in a centrifuge to separate out the platelets, which are then injected back to the afflicted area – whether that be a joint, tendon or ligament.
What are the benefits?
- There is very little risk to the patient, since we use the patient’s own blood
- Same day procedure with minimal down time
- Near pain free procedure
- Quick blood draw in the office VS surgery in a hospital
- The entire process takes about 15-20 minutes
What are the success rates?
We have performed thousands of PRP injections over the years and 80-90% of our patients are seeing reductions in pain for arthritis, injuries, and chronic pain. In some cases even complete pain relief.
Am I a good candidate for PRP?
Most patients are good candidates for PRP, unless they have bleeding disorders or active cancers. We also do not perform PRP for neurological disorders or for spinal/neck conditions.
What is the recovery?
Patients should take 1 week off from exercise after injections, but can resume work the same day (unless they have a very active job). There is no bedrest needed, and patients can drive home from the procedure themselves.
Why choose Dr. Kanaan for your PRP?
See why Dr. Kanaan is the expert in PRP injections and how he can help you receive relief from your orthopedic conditions.
- Duke fellowship-trained nonsurgical orthopedic specialist.
- Dr. Kanaan has performed thousands of PRP injections over the last 10+ years
- Every time you visit our office you will meet with Dr. Kanaan.
- All injection procedures are performed by Dr. Kanaan under ultrasound guidance, for improved accuracy.
- Wake Nonsurgical Ortho is the Research Triangle’s first private practice solely dedicated to Nonsurgical orthopedics
What is the cost?
The current price for PRP is $650.00 per injection
*Insurance does not currently cover PRP, despite a growing body of evidence in support of this procedure. We take many payment options.
Tricare Is NOW covering Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Injections (Effective Oct. 1, 2019 through Sept. 30, 2024)
TRICARE may cover PRP injections if you’re diagnosed with:
- Mild to moderate chronic osteoarthritis of the knee
- Lateral epicondylitis, also known as “tennis elbow”
What areas can be treated?
PRP injections can be performed in arthritic joints, injured muscles, tendons, and ligaments all over the body. This list DOES NOT include every body part. We have injected almost every part of the body with PRP safely. Some examples of treatment and their studies include:
- PRP for Muscle strains, Hamstring pulls, and tears
- PRP for OCD lesions, Osteochondral lesions
- PRP for Ligament sprains
- PRP for Arthritis Pain (Knees, Hips, Shoulders, etc)
- PRP for Acute tendonitis
- PRP for Chronic tendinopathy (tennis elbow, golfers elbow, patella, Achilles)
- PRP for Post-surgery pain
- PRP for SI joint pain
- PRP for patellofemoral pain, runners knee
- PRP for rotator cuff tears
- PRP for meniscus tears
- PRP for Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome
- PRP for TMJ pain
- PRP for Hair loss
How does PRP differ from stem cell therapy?Most studies support that PRP can be just as effective as a stem cell injection for pain relief. Therefore, in most cases we advise trying a PRP injection first. If you have joint pain, or an injury and traditional methods have not provided relief, then PRP therapy may be the solution.
Schedule an Appointment for PRP Therapy
Duke fellowship-trained nonsurgical orthopedic specialist, Dr. Matthew Kanaan, specializes in performing PRP therapy for patients in Raleigh, Durham and Cary, NC. PRP therapy is a highly effective way to provide long term relief to chronic orthopedic pain. Dr. Kanaan will take the time to diagnose your symptoms and discover if PRP therapy is right for you. Call our office at (919) 719-2270 for more information about PRP therapy or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kanaan.